now tweeting

 

Sunday 3 January 2016

Optimistic New Year

In June 2015, optimistic pigeons started laying eggs in a planter on the balcony.  It's taken five clutches of eggs, each stolen by crows, but they finally hatched a couple of chicks.

The parents take alternating day and night shifts in their maternity planter which offers very little coverage from predators.  They're happy enough for me to sit on the balcony, so long as I don't go too near them.  They scarper when the balcony's being cleaned but don't go too far, and come back quickly.


First day out of the egg and I grant you, they are not the most lovely chicks.  I suppose they're delightful in Pigeon World.


I'm less optimistic about how the plant is going to survive but I suppose feathers trump leaves.

I'll keep you posted on their progress.  Happy and Optimistic New Year

3 comments:

Manav Singhi said...

Lovely Post, Have a Nice Day. . :)

Chuzai Living said...

Happy New Year! I hope the plant will survive fine!! I hope you will have an optimistic year as well! What a lovely expression!! :)

rupam sarma said...

Nice captured